Monday, June 18, 2012

Hidden Organization

{Do you have skeletons in your closet?}

{source}
This week I have plans with a good friend to help her tackle her closet organization, and plan outfits out of her existing wardrobe, to help save money. So, in the spirit of these plans, this week I hope to share with you some tips on closet organization, as well as how to shop in your own closet for outfits, all the while tackling clutter and remodeling/reconfiguring your clothes closet to work for you.

So let me begin by asking: What does YOUR closet look like?

Is it a mess? Shoes on the floor, pants draped over empty bars, hangers strewn about?

Do you have an organizational system in place, but it's difficult to stick to?

Or do you seemingly not have enough storage space for all of your clothes, and are borrowing space from a hall closet?

I won't lie to you guys. Sadly, my closet does NOT look like this...

{image via the container store}

It's not as pretty, and is a work in progress {like most rooms in our new home} but, in the past year, the husband and I have worked to make our new closet space work the best as it can. 

Today I would like to offer some tricks I have stored up my sleeve {pun intended} on getting your closet organized, including:

  • Seasonal Storage Solutions
  • The Magic of Matching Hangers
  • Color Coordinating your Closet
  • Categorizing your Clothes
and...
  • Creating More Hanging Space!

Last week I wrote a post about chalkboard labels, and I mentioned how I use them on big storage boxes, such as IKEA's Kassett storage boxes {below} for seasonal items, such as storing sweaters during the summer months. Since we do not have a huge walk-in closet {it is a walk-in, but not huge by any means}, we have had to find creative ways to store items we currently are not using in containers on higher shelves. These larger storage boxes help eliminate cramming clothes {especially bulky sweaters} in with your active wardrobe, which only creates visual clutter.

{IKEA Kassett storage boxes}

Remember the movie "Mommy Dearest", which was a portrayal of the OCD Joan Crawford, and the infamous line "NO WIRE HANGERS, ever!"? Although hangers from the dry cleaners and department stores are essentially free, I have to say, I agree with Joan Crawford, however crazily she was portrayed in that film. It may sound silly and painfully easy, but eliminating miss-matched hangers in our closet is a simple solution to help create a cohesive, organized look.




I love my Real Simple Slimline Hangers {purchased from BedBath & Beyond for just under 30 bucks for 50, and you can use one of their 20% off coupons}, but our local Costco has very similar hangers for MUCH cheaper {something like $10 or $20 for a pack of 50}. The husband chooses to use standard black plastic hangers, but the point is uniformity.

The organizer in me loves to alphabetize and color coordinate. Thus, my closet is sorted by color. This surely drives my organizationally-challenged husband crazy. It seems he can rarely remember where to put certain items, but he tries, and that's what matters to me. 

Here's how I categorize my side of the closet:

My largest collection is of tops, and therefore they are sorted from blazers pants, skirts and dresses. The category of "tops" includes blouses, t-shirts, cardigans.

Remember the acronym ROYGBIV? It stands for Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet, and I use this as a starting point to sort my tops by color:

  • Brown, Plum, Red, Pink, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Black, Gray, Ivory and White.
{source}
For in-between colors, like teal, navy and peach, I sort them literally in-between the colors that they stem from. Teal falls between green and blue; navy between blue and black; peach between pink and orange.

Within each color category in my "tops" section, I sort light to dark {like the color wheel above}. Furthermore, tops are sorted within each color from short-sleeve to long sleeve. It sounds complicated, but, to me, it makes perfect sense. Find what works for you!

Keeping different categories of items of clothing, such as blazers and coats separate from tops from others helps me plan my outfits. I don't have to search for skirts tucked in between tops, or vice versa. I know there are specific sections I go to for each item.

{image via Real Simple}

When we moved in to our new home, the configuration of our closet was pretty basic. Since we have a window in the middle of the closet, either side of the window had wire shelves, but it really wasn't enough storage for both of our wardrobes. Even if you have builder-standard white vinyl finished wire shelves like us, they can be {easily} moved! By raising both sides of the closet shelves that already existed a foot up, we were able to double our storage space beneath by adding additional bars and/or shelves underneath! Awesome, no? 

So please, don't be afraid to move your closet shelves! They are not permanent. The Home Depot sells additional shelves for under $10 for a 6-foot section. There is no need to go out and purchase a fancy, custom designed closet system, unless you have the means to do so, then go for it! {I envy you, whoever you are...}

{source}

And if part of what your closet currently offers is working for you, why not just manipulate the configuration slightly to make it work even better?

Tomorrow I meet with my friend to help her purge duplicate items from her over-stuffed closet, reorganize while shopping in her own closet to create new outfits! I will be sharing photos from that adventure later this week.

I hope these thoughts help you in tackling your skeletons in your closet!

xoxo,
  Rochelle

2 comments: